Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ch-Ch-Ch- Changes...

So, after a looooong hiatus from my blog, I'm back and ready to write. A lot has occurred these first few months of school, so the blog went to the bottom of the to-do list.

Some updates:
  • I decided to move out of the guest house and get a place on my own. It all kind of happened in a whirl wind, and in less than two months, I found a spot and moved. The new place is just a few blocks down the road but it feels like a whole new world. I'm more in the city now, which is wonderful, because it gives me some Nashville feel. I get to walk everywhere (restaurants, wine shops, bars, grocery, pharmacy) and I have a beautiful running path by the Brandywine River that I get to explore with Riley. Things have definitely changed for the better. Once Pat finishes hanging up my frames, I'll post pictures of the new relaxation pad.
I've really focused a lot of my writing on the book about my students from last year. This is one of the reasons that I have not begun writing about my new lot of kids; my words are still being dedicated to my first class.

Just to update you on the Wild Things' progress, I get to see all of them in the hallway which makes me feel like a superstar. Eduardo's and Javier's smiles still make my day. Javier is in the classroom just across the hall from me. His teacher, my good friend Jamie, tells me he's doing just great (other than flirting with the new cute Hispanic girl). Glen hasn't changed a bit, apologizing for other kids mistakes and dropping big tears when he has to fix an answer. Maria likes to give me sneak attack hugs in the hallway. I'll often turn around to see a Maria latched on to my backside. She has touched my heart on the playground this year, helping me out with a boy in my class with muscular dystrophy, which makes it difficult for him to walk. Maria holds his hand and takes him down the slide. God love people that help people with more misfortunes than themselves. Kenan moved out of his "pipe-smoking" mom's house and in with his dad. He now comes to school with a happy demeanor and clean clothes everyday. Due to his home change, his whole world has improved. For my friend Jamie, he's been a much nicer and compliant boy than I met last year. He stops in my classroom about 5 times a day to say hi, still winning me over with the Kanye West charm. Hayikan is the only one I no longer have contact with. He finally got the help that he needed over the summer at a center for students with severe behavioral needs. Hopefully when he leaves that program, he will begin his journey to learn how to be a successful citizen to society.

Later this week I'll begin with you my journey through year two with 10 rambunctious wiggly boys. Stay tuned, so far, this year has not disappointed on the dramatic tales.

Cheers and Welcome Back!

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, love it. Your deep connection to your students makes for such an inspiring read. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete